Saturday, March 06, 2010

Pear, date and cinnamon chutney

My preserves cupboard is filling up nicely


Yesterday I began using up some of the pears. First up was pear, date and cinnamon chutney....

Ingredients:
600ml Cider vinegar( I didn't have quite enough cider vinegar so topped it up with rice vinegar)
1kg ripe pears
450gms pitted dates
2 red delicious apples( I used granny smiths as we have these in the garden)
18-20 shallots(450g total, I used shallots, home grown onions and some red onions)
11/2 firmly packed cups of brown sugar
1 cinnamon quills( I used 2 tsp cinnamon)

Method:
Place 300ml vinegar in a pan with all the ingredients and slowly simmer over a medium to low heat, stirring occasionally for about 2-3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved
Cook for about 25-30mins until the fruit is tender.

Add remaining vinegar and cookf for 30-40 minutes until the chutney thickens and the liquid is almost evaporated.
Transfer to sterilised jars. This chutney is readyb to eat immediately and if kept in a cool dark place will last for 6 months. Refridgerate after opening and use with 2-3 months.

Thanks goes to seedling for sharing her recipe at Down to Earth


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:08 pm

    Looks yummy. I bet your house smells delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds tasty and will have to make some of that too. Your preserve cupboard is fuller than mine :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does smell lovely when it's all cooking Mel :D
    There's more to go in there yet Debbie, not too many more chutneys though. Hopefully I'll be getting some tomatoes soon to maek up some pasta sauces, but I have a horribel feeling it will all be green tomato chutney instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you're using homegrown carrots, share your dish in our Grow Your Own roundup this month! Full details at

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/03/announcing-grow-your-own-40.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nate, thanks for the comment and suggestion, I'll certainly consider it :D BUT where did I used carrots?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, you made it! I'm so pleased! Have you tried it yet? Our's didn't last the year, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! We've tried it and it's yummy! May need to make double next year ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.