Sunday, April 10, 2005

Getting to grips with our new blogspot

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Joe fishing at Raglan
Slowly trying to get the hang of this blogspot thingy!! So bear with me while I try to figure out how to place photos on here. It doesn't appear to be simple these things never are!!
(I''ve since edited this post and as you can see, I can do photo's now!)
News today! The sun is shining and Joe is already outside doing the last, he hopes! improvements to all the fences. When we bought this place everything was in place and fantastic, the previous owner kept cows and the fences kept them contained but not our goats!! and we regularly found out early on Saturday mornings for some reason!! I'm off out later to a place called Te Kuiti to meet some about a chook!!! well four actually, to add to our ever growing population of chickens! Well if we want free range eggs for breakfast you gotta have chickens!!
At the moment we have a billy goat on his holidays here and his favourite pastime is playing leapfrog with four of our goats, Purdy, Zoe, Emily and Pikelet. They are the older girls of the eight goat we have, the younger girls wont be ready to breed from until next year. If I breed them too young it may stunt their growth and I want to show them, so can't have that. But hopefully we shall have some babies running around the place in a few months time.
We are loving the lifestyle here, it is a great place to live. We love our home and the land with it. It is busy some times and we have had to learn so much about keeping animals healthy and happy, our family has grown with the addition of all of the cats and dogs etc, but it's great.
Here is a little poem I wrote on a particularly challenging day!!

January 2005



The Good Life

We moved to New Zealand, for a quieter life.
But this week on the farm has been nothing but strife!
It all started well, this life on the 'Block',
We planted some veggies and added some stock.
First came the goats, 4 beautiful boers,
"It's a hobby," said Joe, "for 'er indoors.
"The two dogs arrived, named Bonnie and Clyde,
Who like to eat 'muck' in the paddocks outside!
Soon came a kitten, takes the cats up to three,
The old ones get jealous when he shoots up the tree.
We got 4 chickens, but one is a Cock!
We know, cos he crows in the morning at 6 o'clock!!
Maggie was rescued from the SPCA
The first twenty four hours were quite a day!
She is big, she is beautiful, with fantastic ears.
But she got stuck in a fence and reduced me to tears.
She cried and she struggled, but got out in the end,
and I'm happy to say that she's still my friend.
But! "What's wrong with that?" I hear you all say!
WELL! Let me just tell you about yesterday!
No more animals allowed, that Joe can't eat.
So two more pigs arrived...Oh what a treat!
They stood there with Maggie and looked round the sty.
"There's a gap in the fence...we're off. Bye-bye."
Ten minutes it took them to work that one out.
"Well! That's just great!!" I said with a shout.
A few phone calls later, people rallied around.
Neighbours are great in a crisis, I've found.
The night proved a long one, the pigs are still free.
They were next door this morning, asleep under a tree!
What to do next?......I really can't say.
They might come back sometime today.
Joe isn't here...he's missing the fun!!
He's off a job that has to be done.
Somewhere up North at the refinery,
I'm off to get drunk at the nearest winery!!!!!Phew!!!

You'll be pleased to know that the pigs were caught and have settled well with Maggie the Kunekune.
Well that's it for today, the worker needs his breakfast. I will have to keep working on the photothing. (It's done!! More to come)
bye for now

3 comments:

  1. Awesome little rhyme, very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, sounds like you had quite a day! Found youthru the forum.....

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.