Wednesday, November 08, 2006

In the paper!

About this time last year I was in the paper being asked about how I was dealing with being a new Lifestyleblock owner in my first year of lambing.
Now this year I'm in the paper again! It was actually a couple of weeks ago now before the Waikato World A&P show in Hamilton. The purpose was to promote the breed and as I am a new breeder others thought it might be good idea for me to have my goats in the paper this time.
I've certainly had plenty of feedback from the article anyway, with people wanting to buy goats for breeding meat, and asking will I sell some meat!!! to 'Am I feeding my kid goat properly'
The power of the media! I even had a phone call asking if I would take the goats along to a 'Good Life expo to be held at Hamilton Gardens in February of next year! So I'm currently looking into that.
We also had some business cards printed up to promote our stud, 'Little Gems' which has also brought plenty of interest.
If only we bred boer goats for their meat, we could have a great little cottage industry going on here. I certainly have no plans to sell any of my babies for eating. But I have to admit to you that last night we had goat for tea, not one of ours you'll be pleased to know. It does taste similar to lamb, it was quite nice actually and apparently very good for you, it has the lowest cholesterol of all meats and is the most widely eaten meat in the world.



Here is our new business card, I'm really pleased with it. I put breeders of Boer goats & Kune Kune pigs but I think I could have added: pekin ducks, chickens, sheep & cows! But I think I would have had to have a bigger card.





Here is what the reporter had to report:

Boer Goats eat up weeds, taste like fat-free lamb by Geoff Lewis - Hamilton press

The Boer goat industry has had a good start, but its up to the stud breeders to ensure the quality of the national herd, according to local breeders Sue Webber and Warwick Ferguson.
Boer goats are a South African breed, introduced to New Zealand in1987 by Landcorp, that are mainly bred for meat.
Easy to handle, mature bucks can grow up to 100kg in 18 months. However, kill weights were usually 12kg-18kg dressed, which can be obtained in about 6 months. Nationally there are about 56 Boer goat breeders with herds up to 3000 in the South Island.
Rotokauri breeder Sue webber arived from Britain 2 years ago and now runs the "Little Gems" Boer goat stud.
"We knew we wanted to find a bit of land. But we didn't know what to do with it. we were introduced to the breed by our neighbours and learned everything form going to shows and talking to other breeders."
Koromatua breeder Warwick Ferguson said Boer goats could easily run with other stock including cattle and were good for 'cleaning up' paddocks of weeds, thistles and blackberry, other stock wouldn't eat.
Mr Ferguson said that there was a public perception that goat meat was 'smelly old billy' but farmed Boer goat was like eating lamb without the fat.
The meat goat industry was developing and it was up to breeeders to provide animals that would perform in the commercial environment, he said.
The sixth annual New Zealand Boer Goat Breeders Association Show, at Claudelands this weekend, features guest judge Australian and former South African Jackie Jordan. Show animals are expected from as far away as Warkworth and Whakatane.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.