Thursday, November 05, 2009

Lemon honey (or curd)


I have the most gorgeous lemon tree, I've always wanted one but the climate in the UK is just too cold for one unless your have a heated glass house. It's heaving with fruit at the moment and there are flowers forming for more lemons, we have them all year round.
I've been saying for weeks that I'm going to make lemon curd and as it's been raining all day here, today was a good day to follow that through. It's easy, I never realised how easy to be honest. I fished out some jars from the depths of the cupboard under the stairs and noticed a label on some, the year on the label was 2007! That was the last time I made lemon curd! What a slack Alice! :D

For Lemon honey/curd you will need:

4 lemons
125gm butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs beaten

(As with most of the recipes I put on here I've times the above recipe by 3)

Grate the yellow part of the lemon(avoid the white as it is bitter, never take the pith!! ;-D )

Squeeze the lemons and strain the juice


Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler

How I make a double boiler


Stir in sugar

lemon juice and stir until sugar is dissolved(I strain the juice at this stage)

Add beaten eggs

and lemon rind

Place over boiling water and cook stirring all the time until mixture thickens

Pour into sterilised jars



Store in the refrigerator. Recipe makes 4 x 250ml jars.

I sterilise jars in the dishwasher on a hot wash and I don't use any dishwasher detergent, I pour the hot mixture into hot jars and screw the lids on tight, the lids get sucked in and make loud popping noises that make me jump and the dog bark!!

8 comments:

  1. Looks ever so delish!

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, I might open a jar in a while and have some on home made toasted bread! I was a bit owrried it wasn't setting but it is fine now it's been in the fridge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:11 am

    It looks so easy to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:47 pm

    Looks good Sue. If you peek under the recipe labels on my blog I have the lemon curd recipe that will last for at least 12 months in a cool dark place. Same recipe as yours almost, just more butter required...to die for:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to try making some Melanie?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! How strange!! Molly your message is there now! It maust have been hovvering in cyberspace somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:20 pm

    LOL, and I just posted another after reading your message, talk about a hoot LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The worlds gone mad I tell ya! The silly season is nearly upon us! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.