Friday, January 29, 2010

It's plum chutney day.

I haven't taken photos of every ingredient or each stage for this chutney, there's no need. I'll just list the recipe and put on a photo. There was no method other that to chop, weigh and put in a large saucepan.
What I would have liked to have shared with you however is the smell of it as it was bubbling away on the cooker top, it was devine. That sweet vinegary aroma infused with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg that our Stuart our Helpxer(more to come about this great scheme) said reminded him of home.

Recipe
900g/2lb plums
1 large onion
200g/ 7oz raisins or sultanas
450g/1lb brown sugar
570ml/1pt malt or cider vinegar
1 thumb ginger
1 tblsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
8 cloves
2 tsp salt

Of course I adapted it a bit as I didn't have exactly the right things and I doubled up the quantity. I also added a couple of windfall cooking apples(chopped) to the mix.
All you need to do is chop the plums and onions, I also used some shallots and added some garlic.
Put all the ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil. Then I reduced the heat to a rapid simmer until the liquid reduced down and thinkened. This took about an hour or so.
Then I bottled into sterilised jars, popped on a label with the date and now we wait two months before we can use. Just as well we still have some River Cottage Chutney left from last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.