Monday, August 06, 2007

Spring must be coming

The feel of Spring is in the air, well it would be if it just stopped raining! It's definitely getting warmer and the daffodils are pushing their heads out of the ground. They may have been a bit taller had they not had their heads chopped off last time the grass was cut!

The first of the babies are being born, not including Beryl the Kune Kune who had 6 piglets back in June.



First off the mark was Ruby, on Wednesday 25th July she had twins, one buck, one doe. Sadly the buck became ill and died after 2 days. The young doe though is thriving and enjoyed herself in the big paddocks with the rest of the herd and she caused her mother plenty of grief to her mother and she hopped, skipped and jumped everywhere.




Next up was Isobel the dexter heifer. This was her first calf and boy did she make me proud. On Thursday 2nd August she had a beautiful Dun Heifer, just what was required. We named her Cara which means Precious Jewel, she's a grade 3 Dexter which means we are getting closer to a pure bred herd.





The most recent to date is Sapphire. Yesterday on Sunday 5th August, exactly on her due date she gave birth to twins, both bucks. She did it so quickly that I missed the first one being born as I'd gone inside to get the camera! Never mind though I got to see the second fella arrive.



That's all so far. Just 3 more goats to go, plus one heifer, one cow and 3 ewes, then thats us done for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.