Thursday, February 21, 2008

Franklin Agricultural & Pastoral (A&P)Show

Last Sunday we finally made it to an A&P show. Franklin is just over an hours drive and is just south of Auckland. What with our move to our new place and all of the ongoing dramas and with OH working 6 days a week we just haven't had the time to get my Boer goats organised for showing.
We had a very long and wet winter and spring and the goats had terrible trouble with their feet. So with all that lost my usual enthusiasm for it all.
Boer goats haven't been at the Franklin show for 7 years, so when an acquaintance of ours had arranged for the Boers to be there and was judging, we thought this would be a good time to get back on track and show willing and be supportive.
We were only entered into 2 classes, I have 2 6 months old does, one a pretty good type and the other still pretty good but I knew the judge would have an issue with the extra teats, 2 are acceptable on each side, but not 3, which is what she had. So I was right in assuming she wouldn't do well.
I had 2 buck kids entered too, but they weren't looking their best on account that they were in the freezer! shocked.gif
Also entered was Beau, my 2 tooth buck, but after and afternoon of rain got scald :q11: and walked around as if his legs was chopped off, so he didn't come!
So our comeback nearly never got off the ground!! rolleyes.gif
But anyway, 2 does kids in one class, 1 doe 12-24months in another......oh yeah and Amber came along for the ride, she jumped in the trailer and refused to get out. She's a bloody tart. :-)

Enough rambling!
First class, doe kids. 3rd place with Crystal (Ambers daughter)

So I was rather surprised and delighted at that. Not bad eh?

Below, Left - Coral(too many teats) with my son Michael, Right - Crystal with some old nanny!




And in 3rd place (the camera battery went dead before I got the ribbon)





This is Brea (12-24mths class) she didn't get placed, due to barbers pole earlier in the season has struggled to put the condition back on, but I just happen to think she's a little beauty!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.