Friday, September 18, 2009

What's on the menu tonight? Macaroni cheese

Well I've been so inspired by some fellow bloggers who have shared their culinary masterpieces, I thought I'd give it a whirl!

Tonight Matthew, dinner will be macaroni cheese. It's a really quick and easy recipe and in true blog masterchef form I shall post photos!! Impressed?? Don't get too excited you ain't tasted it yet!

Before I forget, my measurements are always a little haphazard and not very accurate, if you don't like working this way then have a look in a recipe book or on the web. I also double up any recipe so that I make twice as much needed that way I get 1 meal plus 1 lunch out of it.

Pre heat oven to
190degC
375degf
Gas mark 5


For Macaroni cheese you will need the following ingredients


1 large bag macaroni elbows, cooked
100gm butter
2 onions
Small pack streaky bacon
2 tbsps plain flour
1 tsp dry English mustard powder
(I didn't have any and substituted with cumin, works well)
1 ltr milk
2 generous cups of grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste


Melt the butter in a saucepan

Once melted add the chopped onion and cook slowly until they begin to soften

Meanwhile cut the streaky bacon into squares, scissors work well for this

Add the bacon to the softened onions and cook until the bacon changes colour

Then add the flour, stir in and cook until it starts to froth.

Add cumin and stir, cook for a few moment more.

Begin adding the milk slowly and stir continuously.

Bring to the boil slowly, stirring all the time. I like the sauce to be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Simmer gently for a few moments.

When you have the desired consistency remove from the heat and stir in half the grated cheese and the salt and pepper.

Drain the cooked macaroni elbows

And place in a large ovenproof dish

Pour the sauce over the macaroni

Mix the sauce and macaroni together, ensuring they are both well mixed

Finally sprinkle over the rest of the grated cheese

Place in a pre-heated oven and cook at 190degC for about 20- 30 mins, or until the top has turned golden.(This is a bit golden was too busy typing this thread!!)

Serve with a crisp salad and enjoy.

You can very this recipe as much as you like, add peppers, leave out the bacon etc. It's really up to you as long as you have the basics the variety is endless.

4 comments:

  1. Lol,you still playing around with your blog layout!Looking good both the meal & your layout settings...:)
    The son would kill me if I cooked mine to a crisp like yours...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! Actually it wasn't as bad as it looked, no broken teeth anyway! :-D Yep still playing I never realised there was so much you could do with them! I'm having a rest now though, I'm all blogged out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heres another gadget you can add for music on your blog...:)
    http://www.mixpod.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh! Thanks for that I shall go and have a look!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.