Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dinner tonight - Panang Nua

This is a quick, easy and delicious meal. So if you like a bit of spice then this is for you.

You will need:
500gm lean minced beef
60gm plain flour
3 tblsp vegetable oil
2 tblsp red curry paste
375 ml coconut milk
1.5 tblsp fish sauce
2 tblsp crunchy peanut butter (or ground peanuts)
1 tblsp sugar
2 tblsp basil or mint to garnish
Shape beef onto small round balls about 1" in diameter.

Roll balls in flour, dusting off excess.

Heat oil in a wok and fry beef balls until brown all over

Remove and set aside in kitchen paper

In remaining oil, stir-fry red curry paste for several minutes over a low heat. Stir in coconut milk. Add fish sauce, peanut butter and sugar. Taste and add extra fish sauce or sugar if needed

Return beef balls to sauce and simmer until meatballs are thoroughly cooked through.

Serve with boiled basmati rice and garnish with basil leaves


To make perfect rice, I use Basmati rice, put one mug of rice into a large saucepan and then add cold water to half fill the pan. Bring to the boil(do not cover the pan) and then simmer gently, until the rice is just cooked, taste some, it needs to be almost cooked with just a little firmness when you bite into it. Use a large sieve or colander(makes sure the holes aren't too big or you will lose the rice through them!!) tip the rice into it and drain off the excess water.

Using boiled water from a kettle pour over the strained rice, this will remove any starch.

Leave in the colander with the lid on for a few minutes this will soak up the last of the moisture.

This will give you light and fluffy rice that doesn't stick


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicous! Although I can't do very spicy foods.

    Great tip with the rice, I'll have to give it a go :)

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always get a mild curry paste, it would still work the same. The tip for th erice was given to me by my Indian friend from my college days! Sadly I lost contact with her many years ago when she moved the the US

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 pm

    Have you ever let go of the pan lid as you are draining to the rice to lose the whole lot into the sink?
    Me neither......:)

    Am making this tonight and it smells divine...had all the ingredients in the house too so you must have known that I lerve Thai food...although is Panang Penang or am I mixed up for a change?

    Sue/coffeee DTE

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That's why I drain it in a sieve or a colander! ;-) One day I'll tell you about my disastrous Celery soup for my Home Economics exam at school! You'll laugh your socks off!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.