Friday, February 12, 2010

Nearly forgot! Yep more plums, because I know how much you've missed them!

Plum Sauce


This turned out much better that I thought it would, I found a recipe here.

Plum Sauce recipe...3klg plums, 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 1.5klg sugar, 6 cups malt vinegar, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons ground cloves, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground black pepper.
Count and note the number of plums. Coarsley chop the onions and crush the garlic. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring them to the boil. Cook slowly, uncovered, until the onions are soft.
The sauce can now be rubbed through the sieve. However, it is far better to remove and discard the plum stones( the number were noted) and pur'ee the sauce in batches in a food processor.
Reheat the sauce to blend, and pour into hot, clean bottles, and seal.
The longer this sauce is kept the better. Makes about 4 litres.

As usual I didn't follow it, but used it as a guide only, I couldn't be doing with all that through the sieve nonsense! So at the outset I cut the plums in half, de-stoned and diced them.
I also put some soy sauce, not sure of the quantity I just guessed! And also dolloped in some Watties tomato ketchup, there was a bit of a sweet and sour thing going on here.
Then when I thought it had been cooking long enough I got my Braun whizzy upper thingie and whizzed it all, it turned it into a lovely smooth sauce.
I bottled it into hot sterilised(washed in the dishwasher, no powder) jars and put the lids on! Ta da! We've tried some already, its yummy but ideally we should wait about 3-4 months...if we can that is!

Coming soon...wine update!

8 comments:

  1. Yeh right , I just had to come back for some more plums. I thought it's going to be an update on the calves. But plum sauce sound real nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah! ;) Ok me dear, watch this space for updates on calves...coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe will definitely have a go at this...love plum sauce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add a few extra plums too, I wantd it to be fairly thickish, kinda marinade thick. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:20 pm

    A "whizzie upper thingie" - I've got to get me one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're good Mel! You can get them from a whizzie up thingie shop! I think it's really a Braun multipractic or summat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, What do you use this sauce on? Like a BBQ or a sweet & Sour? I have "sausce" from jam that would not set...wonder it I could tweek it to add your ing in....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I've made it for BBQs really, but as it's not quite bbq season yet we haven't used any, apart from jar. I have some duck in the freezer I thought I might used it as a marinade in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.