Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Two down, six to go.............

After spending five and a half hours making the new covers for two chairs today, I can now understand why the company I called quoted me $80 + GST per chair. It wasn't difficult to do but it was pretty long winded, it was also the first time I've done anything like this so working through the process took time. 
Hopefully it will be quicker doing the others.
I finished painting them yesterday, I may do another (3rd) coat on the table top yet.

Today I gathered all I needed to start the new covers, obviously I needed the material, I started with the green canvas on the left hand side of the picture.
I worked out how to use the eyelets, I'm going to need 3 more packs of these, each chair takes twelve eyelets.
What I hadn't banked on was some plastic strips that acted as a stiffener for the seat covers, the seat covers are laced underneath, there are five eyelet holes. The plastic strip is inserted into the seam where the eyelets go. 
Bugger, I thought I was scuppered before I even started. I had a search anyway and found my old art folder and it sacrificed itself for the greater good😋
I have to say that working out how to do the eyelets through 2 layers of fabric and the plastic proved challenging. After a bit of trial and error the best way, for me, was to mark and make the holes in the strips first, then insert into the seam, then make the holes in the fabric, fiddly and time consuming but it worked out okay.


I don't think I'm going to get more than two done in a day! 

*Other Stuff*

Before I even started the chair covers I was rummaging around in the shed looking for more projects, I'm in painting mode so thought what the heck, I don't really have time to do things like this but I think I need to do something other than wedding jobs to keep me sane.
I was still in me nightie and dressing gown, sane? Of course 😜
I seem to have quite a selection of small stools, a wooden tray, a round table and the thing to the left is a small shelf, the wooden shelf is set on a cast iron sconce which has a couple of candle holders either side. There are other things stashed away, they're for another day.
 Not entirely sure what I shall do to them yet but I know it will involve paint, I have a few tester pots, they're quite old but should be alright.

And on that note I shall go and get something to eat and drink, 
I was so engrossed I forgot lunch

Until next time

Sue
xxx 

9 comments:

  1. Your two chairs look great Sue. Well done!! I am sure the next ones won't take you as long - its always like that the first time. Oooohhhh I spy lots of cool goodies lined up on your trestle table to be painted. They will look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Time I did those projects, they've been stashed away for yonks lol

      Delete
  2. Hardly recognized your blog today with the different layout. The header picture is really small. Your patio furniture is going to look great when it's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm having trouble with the backgrounds I usually use, and the header is temporary, hard to find someone who lets you do them for free. :-(

      Delete
  3. Hi Sue, good to see you back.
    Your chairs are looking great, it's so satisfying when you can do such a lovely restoration job on things that will be well used and appreciated.
    The cool thing about such a project is you can now paint and cover odd neglected chairs to match if you need more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ya, that's a good idea about other chairs, oh goash that means looking for some now :D

      Delete
  4. Have been away for couple of weeks so just caught up on the fab blog!!

    Love that resto work on the chairs They look 150% awesome.

    Love your energy for Upcycling,,, Recycling whatever its called,,, we call it Retro at our place (smiles)/

    Lovely the way you ones have done the front area Garden/trellis work etc etc

    Looks like a page from NZ home and Garden. You all have worked hard..

    Enjoy the weekend

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.