Sunday, November 04, 2018

Satisfying my plant buying OCD, a revamp & pots of colour


Out and about

Saturday morning I headed into town, picked Sue up and we both went to check out the plant sale at Hamilton gardens, hosted by Friends of Hamilton Gardens. Now I know I said that I had done the garden but when someone says cheap plants, I'm there. We arrived bright and early, too early for them to have set up. So to kill some time I suggested we go check out the sustainable garden as they were having a Scarecrow thing on, sadly we were a  day too early and all we found were some leftover Halloween figures. It didn't matter however as I love the veggie garden, of which I was very jealous, I do love all the straight lines of planting, I took a few photos with my phone, so they're a bit over exposed unfortunately *ETA, I did some editing and replaced the Hamilton Gardens photos, hopefully they're better now.
. Foxgloves

 Globe artichokes
 Not sure our veggie garden will ever get started this season
 Something very satisfying about a straight line of vegetables
 Potting shed
 Poppy - Lest we forget
 Marigolds
 Foxgloves generally get pulled out here, the animals don't tend to eat them but they can get pretty sick if they so, best not to take chances really. I do love them though, reminds me ff England

 I would have loved to have done my herb garden like this
 Time for a quick walk through the tropical garden then back to the plant sale



Projects

After we had filled my car with plants, well okay.....'I' had filled my car, I needed a trip to Spotlight to buy some more weather proof canvas. I'd already bought some earlier in the week in a 30% off sale. I'd bought three designs and decided to get a fourth.


I hadn't intended to recover the chairs myself, but after getting a a quote of $80 + GST PER CHAIR and nearly having a coronary, it was really the only option. Four fabric designs and eight chairs and there'll be enough for a few scatter cushions.

Before
 The table in dire need of a repaint
Joe set me up a space to sand the chairs in the garage
 Sanded and dust brushed off
 The paint is Dulux Timbacryl in a light grey colour
 It's a bit of a process but I'm getting there
Three chairs left to do

I've made a start on the table, the underside first, I'm only doing the bits you're going to see when it's up the right way, it's a waste of paint to do all of it, paint ain't cheap.
Second coat to do then I'll get Joe to help me tip it over (it's very heavy) so I can paint the top


A work in progress so watch this space


In the garden
The Plants bought at the sale
 The pots I did last week have enjoyed the rain,
I have to decide where they're going in the garden now

 One of two hanging baskets, those plants should fill it and hang over the sides
 One of two long window baskets sitting on the ledges either side of the front door
 My standard icebergs are beginning to bloom
I love these roses
 View from the hallway of the hostas which are loving that spot
 My favourite I think, Iceberg rose


Time for me to head off to bed now

See you soon

Sue

5 comments:

  1. Love Hamilton Gardens, looks like you are setting up a rival attraction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the jewel in Hamiltons crown I think. :D I could do cream teas, served by a pom :D

      Delete
  2. More beautiful flowers and plants. Your garden is going to have as many plants as the garden center! I love the veg. patch at the sustainable garden with the little brick walls. I think your outside furniture is going to look great when you've finished all the painting and sewing. Bit of a shock seeing this second post, but don't stop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dread to think what I've spent on it!! But We'll enjoy it for years to come x

      Delete
  3. The gardens look wonderful Sue ... such a great place to visit. I have lots of foxgloves here ... I counted 25 cream ones in a row on the weekend looking just gorgeous but unfortunately the strong winds we have had have made them look sad & flattened. I look forward to seeing the finished revamp on your table & chairs - it will look stunning I am sure!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.