Monday, May 04, 2020

Rahui - Alert level 3, day 7

A week ago New Zealand went down one alert level, to level 3. Basically level 4 but with take out, which I read somewhere 😝 it made me laugh. It was a little bit more than that of course, some work places were able to return to work, as long as they were able to practice safe distancing etc as advised by the government.Some schools reopened allowing children of parents who were able to return to work but had no other child care available to them. It also meant you could travel up to 40kms for exercise. Not really sure how I feel about that, far too many thinking that it was all over and decided to hold parties etc, the NZ police page wrote "Under Alert Level 3 (as at 6pm (30 April) yesterday), there have been 281 breaches of the Civil Defence Emergency Management and Health acts, with 77 prosecutions, 180 warnings and 24 youth referrals.
I only have one thing to say about that, f*cking idiots!!
Anyway moving on, this level meant we could use the car to take the dogs to the beach, it's less than 5 mins drive.

Joe got home from work earlier than usual on Thursday,
 it was a glorious day so we went to the beach.


During the past week there was a fire on this cliff, it burned quite a long way along the stretch you can see in the photo


 It looks deserted but there were a number of people on the beach, 
all in their own bubbles and enjoying the sun

At home the dogs have been sunbathing on the deck




I made more feijoa relish and passionfruit syrup
That's me done with the preserving for now, I've used all the jars


I tried this

Nice but very sweet



Level 3 meant a start was made on connecting us to Ultra fast Fibre
Not sure how long we'll need to wait for connection

After I just said I was done with preserving, I found these photos
Lemon honey/curd, but made with Seville oranges that were still on the tree back at the farm, it worked ok but it's a little bitter. In case you don't know, Seville oranges are marmalade oranges, high pectin content, very sharp and not suitable as eating oranges.

I made an attempt at Lemon meringue pie, even though it looks okay I'm going to try a different recipe next time, and I'm  not good at making pastry

Saturday we were back at the beach, bright and early this time, 7am to be exact, the aim was to avoid lots of people s we could let the dogs off the lead
Warning! Loud whistling in the first video!! Turn the volume down, I might deafen you!








The obligatory dogs posing on rock photo
















Level 3 means fishing from the beach is  now allowed


In a week we find out if we are able to drop another level. I hope we do but only if our Covid 19 cases remain low, or as was the case today, '0' new cases.
Not sure it will continue like that, I hope it does, it really depends on the behaviour of others and whether they stick to the rules or not. 
I'm not a lover of rules but if I break the rules of lock down, my actions could affect someone else, and that's not acceptable. So even though I could venture further afield outside of my bubble, the question is, should I?

So stay home where possible, stay safe.
We've almost beaten this thing.


10 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful photos there.
    I love love love your labels on the preserves. They are so professional looking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not bad for the phone camera, I really should get my Canon out. The labels are cool and if you Google Jam Labelizer you'll be able to make your own too :D

      Delete
  2. Love all the pictures at the beach. The videos wouldn't play for me, they said 'video unavailable, video marked as private'. The passionfruit syrup looks really good, are the black things seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to have it on our doorstep. Try the videos again, I made them public, didn't know I had to lol :D

      Delete
    2. Working fine now!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sue, it was so nice to hear from you again. I have often thought of you and your blog. I will have to catch up on what you have been up to.

    Such beautiful photos you have shared here. The beach looks like a lovely peaceful place to escape. Your preserves look great and so does that lemon meringue pie! Very rustic looking :-)

    This virus has brought a few people back to blogging, I have noticed some older ones with new posts which is fantastic. I have started blogging regularly again as I had neglected my blog for a few years, and right now there seems to be more time!

    Our restrictions are slowly being lifted. We only reached level 3 and our cases are very low now. In South Australia there have been no new positive cases in twelve days. I am cautious about a second wave though. School has gone back and I feel that is not a good idea, but we will see.

    We may be able to fly to New Zealand and vise versa after today. Some sort of normal lol!

    Hope you have a wonderful week, stay safe and well.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you too, always nice to know people are still out there doing their thing. Good to catch up. NZ and Oz seem to be doing well, and it will be interesting how they are going to work the NZ/Oz bubble.
      xx

      Delete
  4. You should make some of your photos into cards Sue - they are stunning. Yes I get angry at the ones that break the rules too. How come they think the rest of us have to obey them & they can do as they please. It makes it hard for us that are being so careful. Your lemon meringue pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I like the idea about cards, be good to post as birthday cards or just post in general, I'm not a good letter writer or birthday card sender to be honest though. Stay safe x

      Delete
  5. Yes, we're all hopeful that a drop to level 2 will happen sooner rather than later - and that the rule breakers haven't meant that cant be so. It is looking positive isn't it with so few cases and all traceable. I love your beach photos - what a lovely place to have on your doorstep. Well done on the preserving too - I've only done the basics this year. Oh and I love your labels!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.