Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Ooh I say Matron.....

I have been AWOL for what seems like an age. There is a reason, we had been very busy trying to get jobs done in the garden because we knew that Joe was going to be out of action for a while. Last Friday Joe was in for an op on his Anterior cruciate ligament, ACL for short. Basically it's one of ligaments in the knee which in short acts like a stabiliser in the knee joint. Joe did some serious damage to his knee last year in the UK when he landed badly on his knee. It was sore, he said at the time. It turns out he had not only torn the meniscus and damaged the cartilage in his knee, he also broke part of the kneebone. And if that wasn't enough he had all but severed the ACL. How he kept walking is beyond me, you know what they say....'Where there's no sense.....!'
 Photo courtesy of Wikipedia



Early this year he had an op to tidy up and repair the meniscus and cartilage, the surgeon at the time didn't want to do the surgery on the ACL, due to the long recovery period and Joe was coping quite well at the time. But over the last few months it has been causing problems, particularly at work as it is pretty demanding. Sometimes he can walk miles at the power station and as there are something like 16 levels, there are an awful lot of stairs to climb.
On Friday Joe was in for the op, he was first down and had an overnight stay. He was back home Saturday afternoon and apart from one fall backwards that evening, him, crutches and co-ordination are not a match made in Heaven, he's been making good progress.
This was how his leg looked on the Saturday morning when they removed the bandage and just before they took out the drain... (Don't look if you're squeamish!)




Yesterday he had a visitor, Dr Sue arrived with medical supplies and a bag full of laughs, the best medicine of all. It certainly brought a smile to Joe's face, I wasn't so sure about the bell (see below)!





Mmm........



 Damitol......


 Today (Tuesday) He's feeling heaps better, and much more mobile although he has to realise that he's not going to be fully mobile for some weeks yet.
Today he had a shower and changed the dressings and I took this photo a short while ago. 
The staples come out on Friday and he starts seeing the physio next week, he does have a leaflet with some basic exercises and he's doing those and icing at least 3 times a day which has really helped keep the swelling down.

I've done a fair bit of reading and some sewing over the last few days and I'll do a catch up post soon.

That's all for now
see ya


16 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, Tell Joe he can show people his scar & tell them he survived a shark attack!!! My son did that when he had his shoulder surgery. I hope he is soon feeling heaps better & able to get around a bit more. Sending some cheer germs his way. What the heck is the story with Sue's pink gloves???!!!! Just look at the look on the dogs faces!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea! But he probably wouldn't say it! I would though hahah! That Sue! She's a worry hahah!

      Delete
  2. What a great friend you have in Sue, but I do hope she took the bell home with her lol. Hope Joe has a good recovery and takes his time doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bell is still here I am sorry to say!! :D Thank you for your good wishes x

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:51 pm

    Hi Sue, sorry to hear about Joe's knee. Hope he heals well and doesn't rush the healing process. Sue's nurses outfit and bag made me laugh. hope you are still enjoying Spring! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers me dear, good to hear from you. He's man you know they are the most impatient things on the planet hahah.
      Sue's a hoot eh :D Spring is taking a break at the moment! It seems winter doesn't want to leave just now :D x

      Delete
  4. As you know my kinda laughter is the best medicine, hope Joe is all good after his surprise wake up!! Dr Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling them at craft about that today! we were in fits lol! Of course that started off a whole heaps of funny stories :D

      Delete
  5. Oh bless Dr Sue! She bought the best medicine of all.......laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fairly certain that's a similar injury to one my daughter had a couple of years ago, but she didn't have a Sue to cheer her up like that!! Hope the healing goes well and he's up and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing quite well really, we thought he would be totally immobile, but no he has to be moving around and doing exercises with his knee, amazing really xx

      Delete
  7. Came over from Dr. Sue's blog to offer get-well wishes and encouragement. I've made a full recovery from a similar injury -- be sure to continue the RICE treatments!

    And, drat those blessed goats! When I was a kid, our family's general quarters/man your stations pronto call was "...the ponies are out! all of them!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, thanks for popping over :D I have him home for at least 6 weeks, the booze cupboard is well stocked! I may may need it lol! Bloody goats are just too darned clever for their own good, they know the exact escape place and where there's no electric fencing. That's the forst job on Joes list when he's able xx

      Delete
  8. Ow! that's a tough op, I hope recovery is swift, but then you have Dr. Sue! the best doctor ever!!! I'm still laughing over the fart attack pills! utter genius! and the medical set is top of the range! love it! I'm glad there is booze available, good medicine too! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sending Joe wishes for a speedy recovery - keep doing the exorcises religiously - and keep laughing.
    Loved what was written on the labels of the bottles.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.