Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Muesli bars

I've made a couple of batches of these now, they are lovely and soooo much nicer that shop bought ones. I got the recipe off Down To Earth, you can find the recipes to the one I'm about to show you here Homemade granola bars

Homemade Granola Bars



3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 Tbsp. honey or corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (oatmeal)
1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal,
or crushed corn flakes or any "grain" type cereal or crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips*



In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter until fluffy. Add honey, vanilla and egg. Mix well. Blend in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients.


Press firmly into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.

To microwave: Press ingredients into a microwave safe dish. Microwave on medium power for 7-9 minutes. Rotate dish every three minutes. Bars will firm as they stand. Cool and cut into bars. Save the crumbs for yogurt or ice cream topping. Makes 24 bars.




*The following may be used in addition to or to replace chocolate chips
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup nuts
1/2-1 cup raisins, dried apples, apricots
1/2 cup fruit preserves
(copied from the site link above)

4 comments:

  1. That looks ALOT nicer than the ones I made. Kids were not impressed with them. I barely was as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just great, I got them from a lady off this site http://downtoearthforums.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo

    You have a gorgeous blog :]
    You should come enter our recipe of the month comp. as these look
    delish!

    Hugs

    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.