Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A little bit of this and a little bit of that...

I'm still preserving and adding to the stockpile, 7 jars of pickled red cabbage, some more Ferkin Gherkins and probably more! I'm in such a pickle I can't rightly remember!


Courgette and cardomom cake, courtesy of Sue Jayne at Down to Earth


Just look at that, that slice didn't last long. If you bake, you have to try this!


And I've started knitting for my sister-in-law's baby due later in the year, had a bit of a nightmare trying to print off the pattern, don't ask! And then I needed a translator for the knitting gobbledegook! But I had help from the lovely ladies at Down To Earth, especially Shelagh who was emailing me like a mad thing in the US and Sue (coffee) for being on Facebook just when I needed her!
Pattern here

And that's been the week so far!

ETA the recipe as requested:

Quick and easy courgette and cardamom cake

Time: 1.5hrs mins
Serves: 8

Shopping list
1 large zucchini grated - then spread out on handle towel and excess moisture squeezed out.
100g caster sugar
100g butter and extra to grease baking tin
100g runny honey
3 large eggs - beaten
1 heaped tsp cardamom powder
Zest and juice of 1 limes
325g self rising flour
75g ground almonds
3 tbsp Greek yoghurt

For icing
100g icing sugar
100g cream cheese
Zest and juice of lime
75g butter - softened

For garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped pistachio nuts
Zest of 1 lime

Method

Preset oven to 180degC.
Cooking time 1 hour and around 20 minutes

Line with baking paper a large loaf tin.
Cream sugar and butter until pale, then beat in honey and eggs. Fold in ground cardamom, zest and juice of 1 lime, flour, zucchini, and almonds. Stir in yoghurt.
Pour into loaf tin and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into middle of cake comes out clean.

Cool cake in tin.

Beat icing sugar and remaining butter until smooth. Mix in cream cheese, and juice of lime. Ice cake then garnish with lime zest and pistachio nuts.

Enjoy!






15 comments:

  1. OMG I am not a huge cake fan but this one has me drooling :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmie luv! You must try it! Honest! It's just gorgoeus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks really good. And you will make out fine with the knitting, just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks HF :D Now I've beenn reminded of whwt the abbreviations are it should be fine. Now if I could just stop my hand from aching so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Mrs Pickles that cake looks scrummy. Think I might have to give that recipe a go.

    Can you give me a rough idea in weight or cups as to how much grated zucchini you use. I've only got small zucs at the moment.

    Thanks Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:46 am

    The cake looks good. Mrs. Pickles - very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I had that problem wondering! How large is large? Mine are huge! Anyway I reckon two good cupfuls should do it! D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks yummy will have to try it :0)
    You will get the hang of knitting in no time and babys things are so easy, just relax.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to knit years ago Debbie, did lots of toys and the scarecrows. But my poor brain couldn't remembe what the abbreviations were. :D I know know though...I hope! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your courgette cake looks delicious, and yet another use for those excess courgettes. That one is going into the recipe box as a keeper. Love the blog BTW. I am still reading my way back through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daffodil :D The is lovely, highly recommmend it. Have fun reading the blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake looks absolutely delicious - a perfect way to keep one's head above the marrows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:33 am

    Sue,

    I would love to talk to you about an issue that I feel is a hot topic in environmental news. I have written an article that I think your readers would be interested in seeing on your blog.

    I'm looking to promote that idea that by encouraging grocery shoppers to branch out from their usual selections and to join the local food movement, they can help create a more sustainable agricultural system.

    Kori Bubnack
    k.bubnack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kori I published your comment in the hope that it's genuine. I'm not sure that I fit your bill, but maybe some readers will. So if they feel they would like to contact you then they can. However I feel I should warn readers to proceed with caution as I have no way of verifying the poster. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.