Wednesday, October 12, 2011

RIP Sapphire 20.07.04 - 11.10.11

There always seems to be in life something to bring you down with a bump. With all the work being completed around here with our HelpXers we were on a bit of a high, then yesterday when giving out work instructions I noticed Sapphire was holding one of her front legs funny, I had a look and it was broken. Damn, I assumed it was one she had broken a few months ago. She was helped into a paddock where the other goats wouldn't be able to bother her and I called out the vet. When she came I realised it wasn't the same leg as before, it was the other leg, double damn.
We are having issues with the goats again with their general well being and it seems even though we are giving supplementary vitamins and minerals they still seem to be lacking. I always expect them to look a bit shabby coming out of winter as they shed their winter coat, but that is almost finished and I've noticed that they are looking underweight and lack that healthy shine. So whilst I was deciding on the best course of action regarding Sapphire, the vet gave the rest of the girls some B12 with selenium and another who hasn't looked to good a thiamine injection/s.
After a discussion with our vet, who incidentally is great. I made the decision to have Sapphire put to sleep, I just felt it wasn't fair to her in her current lack of condition to cope with another broken leg when the other one, although okay, may have been weakened by the extra use it was going to get. Also with so much on our plate at the moment I couldn't spend the time with her that she deserved. I said my goodbyes and Joe took her into the barn with the vet and she was quietly put to sleep. It was quick and painless.

Sapphire was one of my original four boer does that we bought back in 2004, the year we came to New Zealand and the first animals we had on our lifestyleblock. Her twin sister is Emerald who we still have although she is the one who needed the thiamine injection. Sapphire produced some lovely kids, in fact she gave birth the the very first Little Gem(stud name) a daughter called Brea. Saffy loved a smooch and I would only have to say to her "Saffy, where's my kiss?" and she would come and rub her face against mine. I shall miss that and her.

♥RIP my beautiful Sapphire♥

Sapphire resting her head over her daughter Brea, my favourite photo of the goats

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your goat Sapphire (I used to follow you on LSB as Eelcat). We too lost our doe Sapphire this year - goats really get into your hearts don't they, and when they go they leave a very large hole. I guess Brea will be more precious than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Eelcat, sorry to hear about your Sapphire ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Sue.
    ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Sue, I am sorry to hear about Sapphire. Hard decisions are never easily made, especially with our animals {{{{HUGS}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your Saffy :( Its tough having to make these decisions. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about beautiful Sapphire. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:33 pm

    Your sweet Sapphire was a beautiful girl. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is so sad! So sorry to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear about Sapphire. Here's a hug from NH... (HUG)!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. ShelaghC2:36 am

    Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about Sapphire. She was a lovely girl and I know how much you are going to miss her.

    Hugs,
    Shelagh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, that's too bad. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sad news Sue, sorry I missed it...have been away from the computer quite a bit this past week.

    Sending you hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.