Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Kitchen bitchin' and cooking up a storm

Over the last couple of weeks or so we've had crappy weather so indoor activities have been the order of the day. Quite a bit of cooking happened. 


 INGREDIENTS
700g peeled onions, chopped
8 red chillies
2 limes
1 large red capsicum, chopped
200ml red wine vinegar
300ml orange juice
3kg feijoas
20 kaffir lime leaves
1kg white sugar
500g brown sugar
1 cinnamon quill, roughly broken
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1¼ teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons dulce (or sweet) smoked paprika



METHOD
Place onions, chillies and limes in a food processor and process until chopped but not puréed. Add to a pot with capsicum, red wine vinegar and orange juice. Stir to mix and set over a low heat. Top and tail unpeeled feijoas, dice them into 1cm cubes and add to the pot along with kaffir lime leaves; white sugar; brown sugar; cinnamon quill; coriander seeds; chilli powder and paprika. Bring to the boil, simmer for two hours, pour into jars and seal. It's got one hell of a kick to it, just how we like it.







************************
Feijoa and coconut cake
As you can see, we'd already eaten some by the time I took a photo.
175gms butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup coconut
1 ½ cups feijoas
2 tbsps slivered/sliced almonds
2 tbsps sugar
Method
1 Soften the butter and beat to a cream with first measure of sugar
2 Add eggs one at a time and mix well
3 Beat in milk, flour and baking powder
4 Cut feijoas into small chunks and fold into mixture with  coconut
5 Pour into a well greased tin
6 Sprinkle the almonds and sugar over the top
7 Bake at 180 deg C for 35-45 minutes until golden brown and when skewer come out clean
  
 *****************
Blackberry jam 
Sue gave me some blackberries last week, I added some frozen mixed ones to make up the weight.



 





************************
I bought a bag of apples on special for $1.45 and made 3 apple crumble yesterday.
We ate one and I froze the other two



****************************

an old favourite



**************************

Toad in the hole for dinner tonight
Jamie Oliver recipe here

********************
Mini trifles, rhubarb from the garden stewed with sugar, butter & ginger
I had leftover custard from yesterday (carton, who can be bothered making it!)
And cream, because who's counting calories by then!

And I reckon that's enough to be going on with don't you?
If you're reading this through Networked blogs link to Facebook, and if you want to leave a message about this post, either comment at the bottom of this post or flick me an email.
I'm taking a break from Facebook for a month, maybe forever, who knows.
                                                                  Image courtesy of Google images

Just one day away from the computer and I've achieved so much.
I'll share that news tomorrow

Take care

 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been busy. I've never heard of feijoas, had to look it up.
    I'll be planting a few veggie seeds today. I got all my flowers and tomatoes in a few days ago but the weekend wasn't very nice. Cold, raining and windy so no planting done.
    The fire in N. Alberta continues to burn, almost 6,000 sq. kilometers. A crew of firefighters from S. Africa arrived on the weekend to help. After a 20 hour flight they all sang and danced when they arrived, apparently that is a custom when they go somewhere. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, I think they're and NZ thing, though originally from somewhere in Sth America, isn't everything exotic ;-D We were hoping to finally get around to having produce through the year, but the top veg garden has gone bush! lol New plans are afoot for that, it's had so many reincarnations that garden, hopefully this will be the last! I was reading about the fires the other day, they reckon it's going to burn well into winter, that's really scary. I love that so many cultures have song and dance as a means of celebration and I love those kind of customs. Us Brits have Morris dancing ya know! The less they do that the better, now ya know why I moved to NZ ha ha ha xx

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. I love blackberry jam. I never thought to freeze crumbles - brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I surprise myself sometimes! No wonder I have to lie down a lot :D

      Delete
  3. My mouth is watering. Well done. Wild blackberries are a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbour has wild ones...everywhere, we've even got some that have taken over the top veg garden, bit of a nuisance if truth be told. The ones I used were not wild however, they were from Sues thornless plants in her garden :D

      Delete
  4. Yummy mouthwatering post Sue. You sure have been busy cooking up a storm. I clicked on Jamie Olivers recipe for toad in the hole as we are having sausages for tea & that sounded fancy ... I have to say, your dish sure looked alot more tempting than his photo did. I have been making feijoa & coconut cake lately alot but your recipe is quite different to mine. I loved your pic about facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue what a trooper you are in the kitchen. Good stuff, all of it. Thanks for the links too. I,'m having trouble leaving comments on my own blog - I think it's turned against me .... so thanks for the comment on my sorry old blog. Instagram is easy once you're on, but like FB just another time waster. Smash move to turn off the computer I think! Cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.