Monday, March 09, 2020

Moving week - 3 more sleeps!!

In less than a week, on Thursday the 12th of March, we get the keys to our new home. Suddenly the wait is almost over, we are so ready to move. We are physically and mentally exhausted, even though it has been a fairly straight forward process it's still tiring.
We see the solicitor on Friday to sign some papers and then it's up to them to deal with whatever it is they deal with at this stage, dealing with the banks etc. We see a broker here this evening to set up our life insurance, all home and contents insurance on both properties is in place, which needed to be before release of funds on settlement day.
The packing is all but finished,  we had a final effort this past weekend, I found a book and went around each room/area and made a list of what needs doing. That's just the house of course, as for the garages, workshop and barn, well they're for another week. Luckily there's not a huge rush but we need to consider Michael and Natasha and the fact that they will want to get sorted too.
We've moved out of our bedroom downstairs and into a room upstairs, which will be our room on the occasion we come and stay over. Our original bed in in here and we'll use that as it's staying here.
Our current bed all but filled the last of the space in the room we've put the furniture!

Not much room left in the small room either, I'll not be putting anything in here.

Boxes from the kitchen and mainly the pantry are under the stairs.

The room we've moved into was my craft room, the two cupboards and cutting table will be coming with us, in the meantime we're putting them to good use.

Last Thursday was my birthday and we decided to have a bit of a do, it wasn't so much a birthday party as a farewell to Karakariki, although we will be back, I'll still go to craft on Thursdays and Book Club meets once a month, so they're not getting rid of us that easy!
Pretty much everyone there on Saturday were or have been our neighbours, neighbours who have become good friends over the years, and some of whom we don't see nearly enough of.
I wanted to use our marquee which we bought to use at the wedding, it really is very handy, a shame we haven't used it more often, but it's there for use in the future.

Figuring out the framework

Roof section sorted

Cover on
 
We decided not to put the sides on, the weather is still warm, even though we did have some much needed rain during the day. The furniture was moved under the marquee.

It all worked out very well, we had a good turnout and the food was amazing. I didn't take a single photo of the evening!! We were  having such a good time.

We cooked beef, pork, bought a large ham and Joe cooked a load of sausages, everyone else brought salads and/or desserts. It never ceases to amaze me the variety of plates of food that people bring.
Our three pear trees this year excelled themselves, of course they did! Just what I need to be doing, making preserves with everything else going on, but we grow them for that reason and they need to be dealt with. It would have made my life easier had I not put the food processor in the already full to the brim room I showed you earlier!! I had to do it all by hand, which made it a bit time consuming.


Four jars of spiced pear jam and six jars of pear and ginger chutney.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find time stew and bottle this box of pears,
there's a layer underneath the paper. 

In the fridge drawer there are more, again another layer under the paper. 
Earlier today this young kingfisher flew into the window and knocked itself senseless for a while. I rescued it from the dog before he could do any damage. When it was sufficiently recovered it flew out of my hand and sat on the overhead wires before flying away.
And here we are in the final few days of the moving countdown. There are still things to pack, I think I'll end grabbing the last few things and shoving in shopping bags! I missed a day completely yesterday, I was pretty crook with a bad tummy upset and sickness,  not pretty, I'm much better today and taking it easy. 
And that's me for today, I'm on the sofa watching Netflix.

Not sure if there will be another post pre-move, we get the keys some time on Thursday, we will go check out the new house, take photos and have fish and chips. We're picking up the moving van Saturday morning now, can't wait to unpack.......said no-one ever.

See you on the other side 

Sue

10 comments:

  1. It's getting so close! Exciting and exhausting. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I feel bloody knackered, it'll be worth it in the long run

      Delete
  2. OMG How exciting,
    If anyone helps you unpack, tell them to put things roughly where they were in the old house.
    Things can be lost for nearly a year !.....Ask me how I know . Good luck with the move, don't overdo it and take care with your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a system in place, if anyone fails to stick to it, they'll be swimming with the fishes :D

      Delete
  3. I hope you love it there and it all goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny as I was just thinking of you yesterday Sue & thinking it must be very close to your moving day. I wish you all the best for the move & cant wait to see you put your touch on your new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's suddenly upon us, thank goodness Michael and Tash are moving in here, because 6 weeks would have been nowhere near enough time to pack everything up

      Delete
  5. Hope all goes well, all very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write them. I do my very best to reply to every one of them right here on the blog. When you leave your next comment tick the 'email follow up comments' and then you'll get any replies I leave. Thank you for reading my blog.